Monday, August 31, 2009

An Interview with Fran from Cakes by Francesca

I recently interviewed Fran from Cakes by Francesca. Fran's passion for cake decorating is infectious and she is an absolute credit to the industry.

How did your passion for cake decorating get started?
When my daughter was born I decided I wanted to make her fabulous birthday cakes every year.It took until her 5th birthday for me to try fondant, and my introduction was a 5 tier mermaid cake design by Debbie Brown. It was awful, but I was fascinated by the medium and bought every cake book I could get my hands on and made birthday cake after birthday cake.

What do you most like doing and why?
Whilst I started with birthday cakes, my real passion is wedding cakes, I just love the ceremony and romance of weddings and creating a couple's reception centrepiece is a real buzz for me.

Who inspires you in your work? What do you love about them?
My biggest influences are Natalia Leelavetchabutr of Nati's Cakes and Planet Cake. I'm very fortunate to have close personal relationships with both. The perfection Planet Cake produces each and every day has always amazed me and I can pick one of their designs out of a magazine any day.
Nati encouraged me to go forward and make cake my career, without her friendship and encouragement I would still be making kids cakes for free. It's brilliant having a best friend who is as insanely addicted to something as you are, it continually gives me someone to chat with, complain to and seek advice from.

Do you have any advice for others that wish to persue a similar path?
Start with your council if you are beginning at home, like so many of us do.
Make sure you charge a reasonable amount from the start, trying to up your prices later on is difficult. Never be embarressed to tell someone your price, they are under no obligation to buy from you, you are under no obligation to sell to them.

How do you approach each new cake you make?
I usually chat with the client, get an idea of any designs they may like and then try to come up with something that will reflect their style and ideas for their function.
I will often sketch up something quickly for them, and then draw up a better design later.
I like to make sure the design is something achievable and stylish, and most importantly, something my clients will be thrilled with.

Is there any particular technique that you are known for? How do you achieve this?
I guess most people would know me for my madhatters and the sharp edges, both of these are achieved by attending classes at Planet Cake with the Madhatter Queen Anna Marie Roche and being fortunate enough to now be a part of their team, which allows me great access to the brilliant skills of Handi Mulyana and Margie Carter as well.

Where do you wish to go in the future with you cake work?
I hope to continue teaching with Planet Cake in Melbourne and also expand my business.
I would also like to educate the public on how a fantastic looking cake can also taste amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment